Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Faith and Values column from NUUF

A Unitarian Universalist Perspective on New Year's Resolutions




It's that time of year again. A time for rituals, big hopes and the inevitable disappointments. No, I don’t mean your Super Bowl party; I'm referring to the annual rite of making New Year's resolutions. I'm going to lose that 10 pounds--again; I'm going to finally learn Italian; I'm going to take up calligraphy. Right....Maybe I need to look for inspiration elsewhere.



As a Unitarian Universalist, whose life is guided by our seven principles, I've decided to look to those beliefs for meaningful resolutions I can live by. Since my home is northern Wisconsin, the land of woods, water and wildlife, for me, the most natural place to begin is with the seventh UU principle: the belief in caring for our planet earth, the home we share with all living things. I've done some soul searching. I've asked myself some tough questions and haven't always liked the answers. Here is my big question: Am I doing all I reasonably can to tend to this beautiful earth?

Am I wasting food? Every time I order more French fries than I can eat, I contribute to greenhouse gases and climate change. Studies suggest that almost one-third of this country's oils, fats, grains and dairy products end up in the garbage. I need to think about how much food I order, purchase and, especially, consume. How much to I really need? Wouldn't those leftovers make a good lunch to reheat instead of fast food? Wait, maybe this could help with those 10 pounds.

When we moved here, I was confronted with how much garbage I create. I couldn't just put it out at the curb anymore and it would miraculously disappear into the landfill. So, now, I ask myself whether I am recycling and composting all that I reasonably can. It's amazing the products that are being manufactured from recycled materials. If I have a choice, I've started to try some of those, such as toilet paper, tissues and paper towels, made from recycled paper. When I use them, I know I'm saving a few trees. That's not much, I know, but if you join me, we could save a few acres this year. And that compost I've made will be great for next summer's flowers.

Can I combine errands so I can cut out even one trip to town each week? Am I keeping my tires properly inflated? When did I last change my oil? Can I bike or walk to some of my destinations? Hmm, this might help with those 10 pounds as well. We can't readily get away completely from automobiles and oil usage, but we can try to limit it. And at $3.00 or more a gallon for gas, saving even one gallon a week seems like a good idea.

Another principle Unitarian Universalists have is the free and responsible search for truth and meaning: each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.

So that got me thinking about how we celebrate Christmas. At least a decade ago, I started to ask myself: Did I really find truth and meaning this Christmas? Or was I just exhausted again during the holiday season? Did I have time to think about why the season is important to me? Or was I just worried that my credit cards were hurting again? Was there a way to cut back on gift giving, but still have a meaningful celebration? If you're feeling the same way, NOW, this time of year, when your family is likely feeling the same way, is the time to talk about alternatives. Daunting as this sounds, they will likely welcome the discussion. I know ours did. Here are some ideas your family might like: draw names so you only are buying for one person, or no gifts for adults. Our family decided to make a donation to the charity of each other’s choice. What a wonderful experience this has been! I’ve learned something about what my relatives hold most dear as well as about some great organizations I had never heard of before. And, now, I have a bit more time to really think about the meaning of the season.

The last Unitarian Universalist principle I've been thinking about is that we affirm the inherent worth and dignity of every person.

With that in mind, is it time for me to reconnect with a friend or relative? Is there someone I need to reconcile with? Do I need to apologize to someone? This can be very tough and I know I may be ignored or rebuffed. But at least the person will know I still care. And that might be enough to start a change in his or her heart. A phone call or a visit may be too hard. And I think email seems a bit too impersonal. So, what to do? Maybe I can find a really interesting one-of-a-kind blank card, something that will "speak" to my loved one. Then I could add a note, something like, "I just wanted to let you know I've been thinking about you and that I still care for you very much." Or "I'm sorry that I hurt you so much that we've been drawn apart. I still care for you and hope there's a way we can reconnect." This takes courage. But my loved ones and I will both be better for my having reached out.

If I can make just one of these New Year's resolutions truly my own, my small corner of the world will be a better place. Will you join me?


Elinore Sommerfeld

President, Northwoods Unitarian Universalist Fellowship

www.nuuf.com

No comments: